Sunday, April 4, 2010

Semana Santa

Semana Santa is over! I just got back from Barcelona with Mom and Molly and had a great week! Pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong(They arrived about 10 hours later than they were supposed to, didn't have their luggage until monday...) but with all of that we still had a great time in Sevilla and Barcelona. I had the whole week off because of Semana Santa which is the holy week that they celebrate in Spain the week before easter. It is particularly a big deal in the south and especially Sevilla so the city was very crowded this past weekend and there were many processions that we unknowingly and unwillingly got trapped inside of(a little frustrating). It's pretty freaky too because of the resemblance to the KKK. Google it and you will see what I mean. I'm glad I got to see some of that tradition though.

After Sevilla we spent 3 full days in Barcelona and saw all kinds of things like Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, Gaudi's Casas, La Rambla, the Picasso Museum, the beach, and much more of Barcelona's charm. I absolutely loved it! My favorite place I have been so far. It really is a city that has everything. It is a big city, which I love, with tons of things to do, amazing architecture, the beach, and the mountains. If only they spoke Spanish there and not Catalan! We also got warned a lot by random people to be careful because we are three blondes and stand out quite a bit.(Lots of pickpocketing there) For the most part though I felt really safe and had an amazing time. It was really great to see my family too although I think it has had a reverse effect on me because I have all of a sudden been hit with a strong spell of home sickness! It was absolutely beautiful in Sevilla this weekend though and that has helped my spirits quite a bit. I got to wear shorts today! Anyways, I would definitely recommend Barcelona to anyone coming to Europe and definitely plan on going back someday, something I have not really said about any other place I have been so far. It definitely is a must see.

I am really excited for my last 7 weeks here though because the weather is absolutely beautiful now and I have lots of amazing trips planned! Still is really hard being away from home though, I miss all my friends like crazy it's almost best not to talk to them as much because it makes me miss them even more!!! I know seven weeks is going to fly by though and I will be wishing I had more time! Sorry kinda short this time, I'm exhausted and want to go to bed. I will try and post again in the next couple days! Hope you are enjoying!

Here are some pictures of Barcelona and the fam...













1 comment: